[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] r45505 - python/trunk/Modules/posixmodule.c

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Apr 19 00:33:04 CEST 2006

skip at pobox.com wrote:
>     Martin> Also, I suggest to use None as the return value for "no value
>     Martin> available"; it might be that the configured value is an empty
>     Martin> string (in which case confstr returns 1).
>
> I'll work on all of this.  Are you sure you want the API to change?

Wrt. to the "no configured value" case? If everybody can agree it is the
conceptually right thing to do (*), then sure; documentation should
get updated, of course (if there is any). This was so broken already
that I'm not worried about breaking some user's code: all users
apparently only ever used the "successful" cases.

OTOH, if people debate whether this actually is the right thing to do,
it should not change.

Regards,
Martin

(*) I believe it is conceptually right, because it allows to distinguish
two cases which are currently indistinguishable in Python but
distinguishable in C, namely: a) there is no configured value (confstr
returns 0 an does not change errno), and b) the configured value is
an empty string (confstr returns 1).