[Python-Dev] setuptools in the stdlib ( r45510 - python/trunk/Lib/pkgutil.py python/trunk/Lib/pydoc.py)

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Apr 18 23:55:59 CEST 2006

Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> Your proposals, however, generally favor experts at the expense of the
> average user, and treat it as axiomatic that the benefits provided by
> setuptools are not worth having, no matter how small the cost.

mal's arguing from well-established Python design principles (import this),
and the kind of respect for existing non-core developers that has been a
hallmark of Python development for as long as I've used it.

who decided that setuptools should be added to 2.5, btw?

it's still listed under "possible additions" in the release PEP, and there don't
seem to be a PEP or any other easily located document that explains exactly
how it works, what's required from library developers, how it affects existing
toolchains, etc.  is this really ready for inclusion ?  does anyone but Phillip
understand how it works ?

</F>