[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] r45321 - in python/trunk: Lib/test/test_traceback.py Lib/traceback.py Misc/NEWS

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 15:19:25 CEST 2006

On 4/16/06, John J Lee <jjl at pobox.com> wrote:
> OK, I suppose I should have asked "will 2.5's module traceback work with
> Python 2.4?".  I guess the answer is something resembling "no", but of
> course (?) the question I'm really interested in is "how, without too much
> effort or ugliness, can people run their doctests on both 2.4 and 2.5"?

I think there was an example earlier - you could change your doctest
to not rely on the exact exception by catching it:

    >>> try:
    ... except ZeroDivisionError:
    ...     print "Divide by zero!"
    Divide by zero!

Whether that counts as "too much effort or ugliness", I'm not sure.
Personally, my instinct is that having the whole traceback in a
doctest is at least as ugly.

Paul.