[Python-Dev] Debugging opportunity :-)

Thomas Wouters thomas at python.org
Fri Apr 14 23:51:39 CEST 2006

On 4/14/06, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:

> At 03:49 PM 4/14/2006 -0400, Tim Peters wrote:
> >   That eventually
> >pointed to an off-by-one error in the new PyGen_NeedsFinalizing(),
> >where reading up trash made it very likely that old generators
> >containing an active loop would falsely claim they need finalization.
> >Alas, fix that, and Python segfaults when running test_generators.
>
> Even with the close() gimmicks still in place?  If so, it sounds like the
> safest thing for a2 might be to claim that generators always need
> finalizing.  :(

No, it sounds like there's a bug in generator cleanup :-) From Tim's
description, it isn't obvious to me that the bug is in the hack to clean up
simple generator frames. I had "finding generator-cycle leak in
test_generators" on my TODO list (as I'd noticed it was still leaking, too),
I've now replaced that with "finding the generator-cleanup crash Tim
encountered" :-) I don't know if I'll get to it this weekend, though, so if
anyone else wants to hunt for it, don't let me stop you.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org>

spread!