[Python-Dev] unicode vs buffer (array) design issue can crash interpreter

Neal Norwitz nnorwitz at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 07:20:39 CEST 2006

On 4/13/06, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:

> > Does this mean you would like to see this patch checked in to 2.5?
>
> Yes.

Ok, I checked this in to 2.5 (minus the syntax error).

> I also think that changing the type from signed to unsigned
> by backporting the configure fix will only make things safer
> for the user, since extensions will probably not even be aware
> of the fact that Py_UNICODE could be signed (it has always been
> documented to be unsigned).
>
> So +1 on backporting the configure test fix to 2.4.

I'll leave this decision to Martin or someone else, since I'm not
familiar with the ramifications.  Since it was documented as unsigned,
I think it's reasonable to consider changing.  Though it could create
signed-ness warnings in other modules.  I'm not sure but it's possible
it could create problems for C++ compilers since they are pickier.