[Python-Dev] PEP 359: The "make" Statement

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Apr 13 22:05:16 CEST 2006

At 01:51 PM 4/13/2006 -0600, Steven Bethard wrote:
>Sorry, I'm not clear on exactly what you're suggesting.  Are you
>suggesting I try to implement the make-statement using context
>managers?  Or that I use a context manager to address Martin's
>problem?

Yes.  :)  Both.  Or neither.  What I'm suggesting is that you implement the
*use cases* for the make statement using 'with' and a bit of getframe
hackery.  Then, your PEP can be clearer as to whether there's actually any
significant advantage to having a "make" statement.

IOW, if "make" isn't anything more than yet another way to spell class
decorators, metaclasses, or "with" statements, it's probably not a good
idea to add it to the language.