[Python-Dev] building with C++

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Thu Apr 13 03:09:25 CEST 2006

On Thursday 13 April 2006 10:59, Skip Montanaro wrote:
> > >     Anthony> I've done a lot of the work to get Python to build
> > > with g++ -
> > >
> > > Is this on a branch or available as a patch somewhere?
> >
> > It's the trunk.
>
> Is there a primer that will get me to where Anthony is?  I tried
> the obvious
>
>     CC=g++ ./configure --with-cxx=g++

That's what I've been doing.

> and the build fails trying to compile Objects/genobject.c.  From
> the sounds of Anthony's email he was at the point where it built
> and was having test problems.

The genobject.c error is new - I just fixed it, it was shallow.

The code is _nearly_ building fine. there's an issue in _sre.c with
some code that either returns a Py_UNICODE* or an SRE_CHAR* (unsigned
char*) in a void*. The code probably needs a refactoring to deal with
that. There's also
Python/compile.c: In function ‘int compiler_compare(compiler*,
_expr*)’:
Python/compile.c:3065: error: invalid cast from type ‘void*’ to type
‘cmpop_ty’
Python/compile.c:3075: error: invalid cast from type ‘void*’ to type
‘cmpop_ty’
which I haven't looked at yet. Anyone else is welcome to fix these.
To get past those two, I've been building just those two files with
gcc, with "make CC=gcc Python/compile.o Modules/_sre.o"