[Python-Dev] need info for externally maintained modules PEP

Gregory P. Smith greg at electricrain.com
Wed Apr 12 21:10:18 CEST 2006

On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 02:47:28PM -0700, Brett Cannon wrote:
> OK, I am going to write the PEP I proposed a week or so ago, listing
> all modules and packages within the stdlib that are maintained
> externally so we have a central place to go for contact info or where
> to report bugs on issues.  This should only apply to modules that want
> bugs reported outside of the Python tracker and have a separate dev
> track.  People who just use the Python repository as their mainline
> version can just be left out.
>
> For each package I need the name of the module, the name of the
> maintainer, homepage of the module outside of Python, and where to
> report bugs.  Do people think we need to document the version that has
> been imported into Python and when that was done as well?
>
> Anyway, here is a list of the packages that I think have outside
> maintenance (or at least have been at some point).  Anyone who has
> info on them that I need, please let me know the details.  Also, if I
> missed any, obviously speak up:
>
> - bsddb (still external?)

the python repository code is the mainline version.

http://pybsddb.sf.net/

feel free to list me as the maintainer, but i'd prefer
pybsddb-users at lists.sf.net be listed as the contact.

the pybsddb project exists only to supply a more up to date module to
people on older pythons or to supply new versions of BerkeleyDB to
people on current python.

bug reports sometimes do go to the pybsddb bug+patch tracker and
mailing list where I eventually take care of them.  i'd be happier
with them going to the python tracker (some have) but haven't
attempted to make that the only way.  using the python tracker means
that i'm not on the critical path to look at a bsddb bug report.