[Python-Dev] String initialization (was: The "i" string-prefix: I18n'ed strings)

Jason Orendorff jason.orendorff at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 15:42:29 CEST 2006

A compiler hook on string initialization, eh?

I have a distantly related story--this isn't important, just another
random Python use case for the file.  (The i"xyzzy" proposal wouldn't
help this case.)

In scons, your SConscripts (makefiles, essentially) are Python source
code.  You typically have SConscripts throughout your source tree.
Any SConscript could have something like this:

  sort_exe = Program('sort', ['main.c', 'timsort.c'])

The problem is dealing with relative filenames.  The only sane way to
resolve "main.c" to an abspath is relative to the source file that
physically contains that string literal token.[1]  But that's
impossible to determine at run time.

scons uses some cleverness to guess the directory.  It's always right,
except when it's wrong.  Maddening.

So, what does this have to do with string initialization hooks?  If
scons could "decorate" string constants as part of SConscript
compilation/execution, this problem could actually be solved.

-j

[1] Well, this is my opinion, but it's the right one.