[Python-Dev] need info for externally maintained modules PEP

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Apr 10 03:07:23 CEST 2006

At 09:35 AM 4/10/2006 +1000, Andrew Bennetts wrote:
>On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 02:48:47PM -0400, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> > At 07:56 PM 4/9/2006 +0200, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>[...]
> > >-1. These aren't external libraries; they are part of Python.
> >
> > They *were* external libraries.  Also, many OS vendors nonetheless split
> > the standard library into different system packages, e.g. Debian's
> > longstanding tradition of excising the distutils into a separate
> python-dev
> > package.
>
>Debian has fixed this bug.

And there was much rejoicing.  :)

> > As much as we might wish that vendors not do these things, they often have
> > practical matters of continuity and documentation to deal with; if they
> > currently have a "python-ctypes" package, for example, they may wish to
> > maintain that even when ctypes is bundled with 2.5.
>
>They can do that just by shipping an empty "python-ctypes" package that
>depends
>on the full python package.

Yeah, but why do something that logical and simple when you can create
elaborate patches to remove functionality from setup.py?  ;)

But you've convinced me.  I'd still prefer we generate these packages'
PKG-INFO from the "formerly external" packages' setup.py files in order to
ensure the metadata is correct.  But if we have to do it manually, we have
to do it manually.