[Python-Dev] need info for externally maintained modules PEP

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Apr 9 19:56:01 CEST 2006

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> It would be good if we could have separate setup.py files for "external"
> libraries, not only because of the ability to get PKG-INFO installed, but
> also because then OS vendors that split those externals out into separate
> system packages wouldn't need to jump through as many hoops to build just a
> single external library like ElementTree or ctypes.

-1. These aren't external libraries; they are part of Python. There are
many build options (such as linking them statically through
Modules/Setup, or building them as dynamic libraries using
Modules/Setup, or building them through setup.py); adding more files
would increase confusion.

If you want additional files generated and installed, additional code
can be put into setup.py to generate them.

Regards,
Martin