[Python-Dev] module aliasing

Thomas Wouters thomas at python.org
Fri Apr 7 15:12:59 CEST 2006

On 4/7/06, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> It would be nice if this chain could instead be written as:
>
>    from stringio or cStringIO or StringIO import StringIO
>
> Similar to PEP 341, this could be pure syntactic sugar, with the actual
> try-except statements generated in the AST.

It could, but it's probably easier to make the IMPORT_NAME (and possibly
IMPORT_FROM) opcodes take more names from the stack, and do it all in the C
code for the opcodes. And __import__ could be changed to accept a sequence
of modules (it takes keyword arguments now, anyway. ;)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org>

spread!