[Python-Dev] packaging/bootstrap issue

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Fri Apr 7 04:38:59 CEST 2006

This is from bug www.python.org/sf/1465408

Because the Python.asdl and the generated Python-ast.[ch] get checked
into svn in the same revision, the svn export I use to build the
tarballs sets them all to the same timestamp on disk (the timestamp
of the checkin). "make" then attempts to rebuild the ast files - this
requires a python executable. Can you see the bootstrap problem?

To "fix" this, I'm going to make the "welease" script that does the
releases touch the ast files to set their timestamps newer than that
of Python.asdl. It's not an ideal solution, but it should fix the
problem. The other option would be some special Makefile magic that
detects this case and doesn't rebuild the files if no "python" binary
can be found. I have no idea how you'd do this in a portable way.

Anyone got other options?

Anthony