[Python-Dev] module aliasing

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Thu Apr 6 19:16:14 CEST 2006

    >> But if we don't start becoming stricter about the naming of things
    >> added to the stdlib, consistency of naming is never going to improve.
    >>
    >> Or should this wait for Py3k?

    aahz> For contributions that are also maintained separately from Python,
    aahz> I think compatibility with the external code has to have some
    aahz> importance.  I vote we wait for Py3k.

Why not implement some sort of user-controlled module aliasing?  That way in
2.x you might have StringIO and stringio available at the same time.  The
user could enable or disable one or both names for testing and backward
compatibility.

This of course presumes that the api of the module doesn't change, just its
name.

Skip