[Python-Dev] 2.5a1 Performance

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 21:54:16 CEST 2006

FYI, on my WinXP box, there appears to be about a 1% pystone difference:

best seen for 2.4.3:  48118.9
best seen for trunk:  47629.8

While tiny, the difference "looked real", as many runs on 2.4.3 broke
48000 but none did on the trunk.

Note that pystone uses wall-clock time on Windows (with
sub-microsecond resolution), but CPU time on Linux (with resolution
that varies by Linux flavor, but maybe no better than 0.01 second) --
that's all inherited from time.clock.  As a result, I never see the
same pystone result twice on Windows :-)

When thinking about fiddling the buildbots, remember that we only do
debug builds now, and pystone is much slower then.  For example, on
this box, the best trunk debug-build pystone result I got was 17484.3
(a factor of 2.7x smaller).