[Python-Dev] 2.5a1 Performance

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Apr 5 20:27:14 CEST 2006

Benji York wrote:
> Realizing that early releases don't normally perform as well as final
> releases, I ran pystone for 2.5a1 and compared with 2.4.2 (what I had
> handy).  2.5a1 got slightly more than 30k, while 2.4.2 gets slightly
> more than 35k (1.4 GHz, Pentium M, 1 Meg L2 cache).

What operating system and compiler?

> On a related note: it might be nice to put a pystone run in the buildbot
> so it'd be easier to compare pystones across different releases,
> different architectures, and between particular changes to the code.
> (That's assuming that the machines are otherwise idle, though.)

That would do it across different architectures and particular changes
to the code (although then something should keep a record of what
pystone had been observed at what time). It won't do it across different
releases, because we don't have Python binaries for each release
available on each slave.

Unfortunately, there can't be a guarantee that the slaves are idle.
Several of them fulfill some primary function for whoever contributed
the slave installation (I know *my* Solaris machine has to do other
things, as well).

Regards,
Martin