[Python-Dev] 2.5a1 Performance

Benji York benji at benjiyork.com
Wed Apr 5 20:10:38 CEST 2006

Realizing that early releases don't normally perform as well as final
releases, I ran pystone for 2.5a1 and compared with 2.4.2 (what I had
handy).  2.5a1 got slightly more than 30k, while 2.4.2 gets slightly
more than 35k (1.4 GHz, Pentium M, 1 Meg L2 cache).

I also ran a large test suite for a project with both 2.5a1 and 2.4.2
and got nearly identical times.

I haven't seen general performance mentioned here lately, so I thought
I'd share those numbers.

On a related note: it might be nice to put a pystone run in the buildbot
so it'd be easier to compare pystones across different releases,
different architectures, and between particular changes to the code.
(That's assuming that the machines are otherwise idle, though.)
--
Benji York