[Python-Dev] current 2.5 status

Trent Mick trentm at ActiveState.com
Wed Apr 5 00:04:47 CEST 2006

[Tim Peters wrote]
> Trent, FYI, on my box the invariable cause for
>
>     LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file './python25_d.dll'
>
> in a failed buildbot Windows compile step is that some previous run
> left behind a python_d.exe process that won't go away.  I don't know
> why it won't go away on its own, or how it gets into that state, but I
> do know that once it happens it never fixes itself.  You have to find
> the python_d process(es) and kill it yourself.  Then the buildbot
> dance works fine again.

In this case it was because python_d.exe crashed and Windows then popped
up a system modal dialog to tell me: hanging the process.

I wonder if it would be possible to write a "reaper" script that used
some combination of EnumWindows, SendKeys, the Performance Monitoring
APIs (Pdh* function) and some elbow grease to click these crash dialogs
away.

Trent

--
Trent Mick