[Python-Dev] Renaming sqlite3

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Apr 4 20:28:06 CEST 2006

Thomas Heller wrote:
> Since on Windows binary extensions have to be compiled for the exact
> major version of Python, it seems logical (to me, at least), to include
> that version number into the filename.  Say, _socket25.pyd.

This would be a major change; it might break the build process of many
existing extensions.

Also, I fail to see the point: since _socket.pyd for Python 2.5 is in
a directory that is only on the Python 2.5 sys.path, it is unlikely
that the files are ever confused for belonging to a different version.

>> And why is that related to not supporting extensions with .DLL names
>> anymore?
>
> IMO changing that would require a PEP (but I may be wrong), and this is only
> another idea which should be considered when writing or discussing that.
> If you don't like the idea, or don't see any advantages in this, I retract the
> request.

Ok - it's not that I dislike it. It would be technically feasible.
It would be some effort to implement. However, I would expect that
other people object more strongly.

Regards,
Martin