[Python-Dev] Use dlopen() on Darwin/OS X to load extensions?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Apr 4 08:29:44 CEST 2006

Zachary Pincus wrote:
> Specifically, this patch would change a core python code path.

Why do you think so? I believe Python always passes absolute paths
to dlopen, so any path resolution dlopen might do should be irrelevant.
*If* you can get dlopen to look at directories outside sys.path,
that would be a serious problem. You can use ktrace to find out
what places it looks at.

> But it would be good to have a specific benchmark to know nothing
> will break. I personally sort of feel that if dlopen() works once or
> twice, it will probably always work, but there are those who probably
> understand better the failure modes of opening shared libs as python
> extensions, and could suggest some good things to test.

Running the test suite should already exercise this code a lot.
You should run the test suite both in "working copy" mode, and
in "make install" mode; if you know how to produce a Mac installer,
testing it in such an installer ("framework mode"?) could also
be done.

Regards,
Martin