[Python-Dev] Renaming sqlite3

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Apr 3 23:51:00 CEST 2006

Thomas Heller wrote:
> But if you make the change to implement option 3, IMO it would be a
> good idea to add the Python version number to the .pyd basename as
> well.

Can you please elaborate? In the name of what .pyd file do you
want the Python version number? And why? And why is that related
to not supporting extensions with .DLL names anymore?

> pywin32 already has to do this, since pythoncomXY.pyd and
> pywintypesXY.pyd have to live (if possible) in the windows directory.

I think this is a very special case: it could have been implemented
with separate DLLs which just provide the COM entry points, and
find the location of pythoncom.pyd from the registry. I would discourage
people from providing additional entry points to an extension module.

Regards,
Martin