[Python-Dev] New uriparse.py

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Apr 2 19:02:30 CEST 2006

Paul Jimenez wrote:
> Announcing uriparse.py, submitted for inclusion in the standard library.
> Patch request 1462525.
> Per the original discussion at
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-November/058301.html
> I'm submitting a library meant to deprecate the
> existing urlparse library. Questions and comments welcome.

My initial reaction was "why is it necessary to break everything"?
I then re-read the thread, and found this is all fine.

However, this shows (to me) that there is a big lack of rationale
in this contribution. You explained it as "urlparse breaks
abstractions"; however, this didn't mean anything to me. Saying
"urlparse doesn't comply with STD66  (aka RFC3986) because
it hard-codes URI schemes, instead of applying the same
syntax to all of them"  is something I would have understood
as a problem.

So in short: are you willing to write documentation for this?
The rationale section could either go into the urllib documentation
(pointing out that particular problem, and referring to urilib
as an improvement)

Regards,
Martin