[Python-Dev] reference leaks, __del__, and annotations

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 07:27:45 CEST 2006

Greg Ewing wrote:
> Nick Coghlan wrote:
>
>> Generators are even more special, in that they only require finalisation in
>> the first place if they're stopped on a yield statement inside a try-finally
>> block.
>
> I find it rather worrying that there could be a
> few rare cases in which my generators cause
> memory leaks, through no fault of my own and
> without my being able to do anything about it.

The GC changes PJE is looking at are to make sure you *can* do something about
it. If the generator hasn't been started, or has already finished, then the GC
won't consider it as needing finalisation.

> Will there be a coding practice one can follow
> to ensure that this doesn't happen?

I believe PJE's fix should take care of most cases (depending on how
aggressive we can safely be, it may even take care of all of them). If there
are any remaining cases, I think the main thing is to avoid keeping
half-finished generators around:

from contextlib import closing

with closing(itr):
   # Use the iterator in here as you wish