[Python-Dev] Pythonic concurrency

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Sep 29 16:12:23 CEST 2005

Bruce Eckel <BruceEckel-Python3234 at mailblocks.com> writes:

> I'd like to restart this discussion; I didn't mean to put forth active
> objects as "the" solution, only that it seems to be one of the better,
> more OO solutions that I've seen so far.
>
> What I'd really like to figure out is the "pythonic" solution for
> concurrency. Guido and I got as far as agreeing that it wasn't
> threads.
>
> Here are my own criteria for what such a solution would look like:

Just because I've been mentioning it everywhere else since I read it,
have you seen this paper:

http://research.microsoft.com/Users/simonpj/papers/stm/

?  I don't know how applicable it would be to Python but it's well
worth the time it takes to read.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  This makes it possible to pass complex object hierarchies to
  a C coder who thinks computer science has made no worthwhile