[Python-Dev] RFC: readproperty

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Sep 28 17:06:54 CEST 2005

"Phillip J. Eby" <pje at telecommunity.com> writes:

> Unfortunately, finding out a descriptor's name is non-trivial; it'd be nice
> if there were a descriptor hook __bind__(cls,name) that was called by
> classes during cls.__new__ or assignment to a class attribute, and which
> you could define to return a replacement descriptor.  It seems like one of
> the first metaclasses I end up writing in any new project is something to
> do this, and I believe Ian Bicking has encountered the same thing in e.g.
> SQLObject.

I've done this many times too, but I've never really felt the need to
propose a change to Python for it.  I guess one could modify the
descriptor protocol slightly, but is it worth it?  Hmm, dunno.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  First time I've gotten a programming job that required a drug
  test.  I was worried they were going to say "you don't have