[Python-Dev] For/while/if statements/comprehension/generator expressions unification

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Tue Sep 20 02:30:34 CEST 2005

Alexander,

The essence of what you have proposed has been proposed (multiple times) before,
and I seem to remember it was shot down.

The below functions offer the equivalent of list comprehensions with a
final post-processing step.

def cross(*args):
    if len(args) == 1:
        for i in args[0]:
            yield i
    elif len(args) == 2:
        for i in args[0]:
            for j in args[1]:
                yield i,j
    else:
        for i in args[0]:
            for j in cross(*args[1:]):
                yield (i,) + j

def cross_with_predicate(*args, **kwargs):
    if not 'pred' in kwargs:
        for i in cross(*args):
            yield i
    pred = kwargs['pred']
    if len(args) > 1:
        for i in cross(*args):
            if pred(*i):
                yield i
    else:
        for i in cross(*args):
            if pred(i):
                yield i

Feel free to use that code and/or modify it to your heart's content (be
careful of attempting to simplify cross, .

 - Josiah