[Python-Dev] GIL, Python 3, and MP vs. UP

Tim Lesher tlesher at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 22:20:05 CEST 2005

On 9/19/05, Michael Hudson <mwh at python.net> wrote:
> I was disappointed that that article (hey, it was the only issue of
> ddj I've ever actually bought! :) didn't consider any concurrency
> models other than shared memory threading.

The problem is that, for all its limitations, shared-memory threading
is the most popular concurrency model on the most popular operating
system, so future hardware platforms targeting that system will be
optimizing for that case.

We can either rail against the sea, or accept it.
--
Tim Lesher <tlesher at gmail.com>