[Python-Dev] Replacement for print in Python 3.0

Andrew Durdin adurdin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 08:58:57 CEST 2005

> My hypothesis is that there are actually only two use cases that
> matter enough to be supported directly:
>
> (a) quickly print a bunch of items with spaces in between them and a
> trailing newline
>
> (b) print one or more items with precise control over each character

Doesn't the write() method of file-like objects already cover (b),
except that it only takes a single argument?  If the need to print
multiple arguments without any separator is so common, could the
write() method be extended to take multiple arguments and just write
them all out? It'd certainly be backward compatible with old code that
called the write() method...

Andrew.