[Python-Dev] PEP 3000 and iterators

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Sun Sep 11 18:09:26 CEST 2005

On Sep 11, 2005, at 11:24 AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> But it breaks the desire to keep the Python 3.0 language clean from
> deprecated features.

That is a nice goal, another nice goal is to not unnecessarily break
things.

> But just installing python3.0 as python and expecting
> nothing will break is not a goal -- it would be too constraining.

Just to be clear, I do not want nor expect this. I wish to be able to
specifically modify code with full knowledge of what has changed in
Py3.0 such that it will work with both Py2.X and Py3.0.

And, now is probably not really the right time to discuss such minor
issues as whether to keep iteritems in Py3.0, but, if it is kept, it
becomes easier to write such code. It is of course still possible to
write compatible code without keeping iteritems, you just have to
replace all the method calls with a function wrapper which calls one
of items or iteritems depending on the version.

James