[Python-Dev] Tools directory (Was RE: Replacement for print in Python 3.0)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 03:54:31 CEST 2005

Jim Jewett wrote:
>>How should we document [the tools directory]
>

> At the interactive prompt, help() lets me get a list
> of topics (not including tools), keywords, or modules --
> but no mention of tools.
>
> I didn't find any references at http://python.org/doc/
>
> The tutorial does mention the standard library (and
> the library reference documents it), but I didn't find
> any suggestion in either that there was another
> library out there under a Tools or Scripts directory.

Even adding something (e.g., Tools/README) to the "undocumented modules"
section of the standard library would be an improvement on the status quo.

I also noticed that the Windows installer does *not* install
"Tools/README.txt", so there isn't even a synopsis of the tools which _are_
included with the Windows installer.

Cheers,
Nick.