[Python-Dev] Replacement for print in Python 3.0

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Sep 7 16:11:43 CEST 2005

On 9/7/05, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 05:23, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>
> > But print-ng looks
> > like becoming the OOWTDI for a lot of applications.  IMO it's just too
> > early to give up on print-ng becoming the one obvious way to do it for
> > a lot of i18n apps, too.
>
> +1.  I have a gut feeling that we can make it easy for monolinguists to
> use printng without caring or even knowing about i18n, but also make it
> relatively painless to integrate i18n into an application or library.
> However I haven't had time to really explore that idea.

I certainly didn't mean to rule that out. But I doubt that the only
text to be i18n'd will occur in printf format strings. (In fact, I
expect that few apps requiring i18n will be so primitive as to use
*any* printf calls at all.)

Anyway, let us hear what you had in mind rather than arguing over some
abstract principle.