[Python-Dev] Example for "property" violates "Python is not a one pass compiler"

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Sep 5 18:12:33 CEST 2005

At 12:04 PM 9/5/2005 -0400, Edward C. Jones wrote:
>Normally I can use any method of a class anywhere in the definition of
>the class.

Not true.  You can certainly use any method of a class in any *functions*
or methods defined in the body of the class.  But you can't use them in the
body of the class before they're defined, any more than you can subclass a
class that doesn't exist yet.

I'm not sure where you got the "Python is not a one pass compiler" idea; I
don't recall having seen this meme anywhere before, and I don't see how
it's meaningful anyway.