[Python-Dev] Replacement for print in Python 3.0

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sun Sep 4 16:28:05 CEST 2005

On 9/3/05, Tony Meyer <t-meyer at ihug.co.nz> wrote:
> If there are two competing proposals, then the two groups write a PEP and
> counter-PEP and the PEPs duke it out.  Is this still the case if proposal B
> is very nearly the status quo?

No. The primary argument is between keeping the print statement and
doing something else; only when "doing something else" is rejected we
should concentrate on smaller improvements to the statement. The
possibility of improving the statement isn't going to sway me.

> IOW, would writing a "Future of the print statement in Python 3.0" counter
> PEP that kept print as a statement be appropriate?  If not, other than
> python-dev posting (tiring out the poor summary guys <0.5 wink>), what is
> the thing to do?

In the end the process is not democratic. I don't think there's
anything that can change my mind about dropping the statement. I have
my preferences about the replacement too, but that's where I need
others to weigh in so we make sure all the important use cases are
covered.