[Python-Dev] Replacement for print in Python 3.0

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Sep 1 17:25:05 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 10:58, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> [Reinhold Birkenfeld]
> > You'd have to enclose print arguments in parentheses. Of course, the "trailing
> > comma" form would be lost.
>
> And good riddance! The print statement harks back to ABC and even
> (unvisual) Basic. Out with it!

I have to strongly disagree.  The print statement is simple, easy to
understand, and easy to use.  For use cases like debugging or the
interactive interpreter, and even for some more complicated use cases
like print>>, I think it's hard to beat the useability of print with a
write() function, even if builtin.

-Barry