[Python-Dev] Divorcing str and unicode (no more implicitconversions).

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Oct 26 11:50:01 CEST 2005

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
>>A few years ago we had a discussion about this on python-dev
>>and agreed to stick with ASCII identifiers for Python. I still
>>think that's the right way to go.
>
> I don't think there ever was such an agreement.

You even argued against having non-ASCII identifiers:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2002-May/102936.html

and I agree with you on most of the points you make in that
posting:

* Unicode identifiers are going to introduce massive
code breakage - just think of all the tools people use
to manipulate Python code today; I'm quite sure that
most of it will fail in one way or another if you present
it Unicode literals such as in "zähler += 1".

* People don't seem very interested in using Unicode
identifiers, e.g.

  http://mail.python.org/pipermail/i18n-sig/2001-February/000828.html

most of the few who did comment, said they'd rather have
ASCII identifiers, e.g.

  http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2002-May/104050.html

Do you really think that it will help with code readability
if programmers are allowed to use native scripts for their
identifiers ?

I think this goes beyond just visual aspects of being able
to distinguish graphemes:

If you are told to debug a program
written by say a Japanese programmer using Japanese identifiers
you are going to have a really hard time. Integrating such
code into other applications will be even harder, since you'd
be forced to use his Japanese class names in your application.
This doesn't only introduce problems with being able to enter
the Japanese identifiers, it will also cause your application
to suddenly contain identifiers in Japanese even though that's
not your native script.

I think source code encodings provide an ideal way to
have comments written in native scripts - and people
use that a lot. However, keeping the program code itself
in plain ASCII makes it far more readable and reusable
across locales. Something that's important in this
globalized world.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 26 2005)