[Python-Dev] New codecs checked in

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Oct 24 22:55:07 CEST 2005

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> I just left them in because I thought they wouldn't do any harm
> and might be useful in some applications.
>
> Removing them where not directly needed by the codec would not
> be a problem.

I think memory usage caused is measurable (I estimated 4KiB per
dictionary). More importantly, people apparently currently change
the dictionaries we provide and expect the codecs to automatically
pick up the modified mappings. It would be better if the breakage
is explicit (i.e. they get an AttributeError on the variable) instead
of implicit (their changes to the mapping simply have no effect
anymore).

> KOI8-U is not available as mapping on ftp.unicode.org and
> I only recreated codecs from the mapping files available
> there.

I think we should come up with mapping tables for the additional
codecs as well, and maintain them in the CVS. This also applies
to things like rot13.

> I'll rerun the creation with the above changes sometime this
> week.

I hope I can finish my encoding routine shortly, which again
results in changes to the codecs (replacing the encoding dictionaries
with other lookup tables).

Regards,
Martin