[Python-Dev] Migrating to subversion

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Oct 19 00:19:01 CEST 2005

AFAICT, everything is now setup to actually switch to subversion.
The infrastructure is complete, the conversion procedure is complete,
and Guido pronounced that the migration could happen.

One open issue is where to do the hosting: whether to pay a commercial
hosting company (i.e. wush.net), or whether to let it be
volunteer-hosted on svn.python.org. Guido was undecided, like several
other developers; the majority of the rest apparently was in favour
of trying it on svn.python.org. Anthony Baxter specifically told me
that he would now be fine with hosting it on svn.python.org as it gives
us more control. If it doesn't work out, we can still go to a commercial
hoster.

So I would like to start a conversion in the near future. One
complication apparently is that SF doesn't manage to create nightly
CVS tarballs anymore; the one I just got is 5 days old. So we would
submit a support request that they manually trigger tarball
generation to shorten the freeze period.

If people want to test the installation before the switch happens,
this would be the time to do it.

Regards,
Martin