[Python-Dev] Simplify lnotab? (AST branch update)

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Oct 14 02:59:36 CEST 2005

At 01:43 PM 10/14/2005 +1300, Greg Ewing wrote:
>Jeremy Hylton wrote:
>
> > Some of the finer points of generating the line number table (lnotab)
> > are wrong.  There is some very delicate code to support single
> > stepping with the debugger.
>
>With disk and memory sizes being what they are nowadays,
>is it still worth making heroic efforts to compress the
>lnotab table? How about getting rid of all the delicate
>code and replacing it with something much simpler?

+1.  I'd be especially interested in lifting the current requirement that
line ranges and byte ranges both increase monotonically.  Even better if
the lines for a particular piece of code don't have to all come from the
same file.  It'd be nice to be able to do the equivalent of '#line'
directives for Python code that's generated by other tools, such as parser
generators and the like.