[Python-Dev] Autoloading? (Making Queue.Queue easier to use)

skip@pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Wed Oct 12 16:46:52 CEST 2005

    Michael> I'm not familiar with the clever trick Greg is proposing, but I
    Michael> do agree that _IF_ everything else were equal, then Queue seems
    Michael> to belong in the threading module. My biggest reason is that I
    Michael> think anyone who is new to threading probably shouldn't use any
    Michael> communication mechanism OTHER than Queue or something similar
    Michael> which has been carefully designed by someone knowlegable.

Is the Queue class very useful outside a multithreaded context?  The notion
of a queue as a data structure has meaning outside of threaded applications.
Its presence might seduce a new programmer into thinking it is subtly
different than it really is.  A cursory test suggests that it works, though
q.get() on a empty queue seems a bit counterproductive.  Also, Queue objects
are probably quite a bit less efficient than lists.  Taken as a whole,
perhaps a stronger attachment with the threading module isn't such a bad
idea.

Skip