[Python-Dev] Pythonic concurrency

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Mon Oct 10 19:59:54 CEST 2005

> The problem with threads is at first glance they appear easy...

Anyone who thinks that a "glance" is enough to understand something is
too far gone to worry about.  On the other hand, you might be
referring to a putative brokenness of the Python documentation on
Python threads.  I'm not sure they're broken, though.  They just point
out the threading that Python provides, for folks who want to use
threads.  Are they required to provide a full course in threads?

> ...which seduces many beginning programmers into using them.

Don't worry about this.  That's how "beginning programmers" learn.

> The hard part is knowing when and how to lock shared resources...

Well, I might say the "careful part".

> ...at first glance you don't even realise you need to do this.

Again, I'm not sure why you care what "glancers" do and don't realize.
You could say the same about most algorithms and data structures.

Bill