[Python-Dev] Python 2.5 and ast-branch

Kurt B. Kaiser kbk at shore.net
Fri Oct 7 02:00:29 CEST 2005

Jeremy Hylton <jeremy at alum.mit.edu> writes:

> On 10/6/05, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
>> The only alternative to abandoning it that I see is to merge it back
>> into main NOW, using the time that remains us until the 2.5 release to
>> make it robust. That way, everybody can help out (and it may motivate
>> more people).
>>
>> Even if this is a temporary regression (e.g. PEP 342), it might be
>> worth it -- but only if there are at least two people committed to
>> help out quickly when there are problems.
>
> I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier.  I've been home with a new baby
> for the last six weeks and haven't been keeping a close eye on my
> email.  (I didn't see Nick's earlier email until his most recent
> post.)
>
> It would take a few days of work to get the branch ready to merge to
> the head.  There are basic issues like renaming newcompile.c to
> compile.c and the like.  I could work on that tomorrow and Monday.

Unless I'm missing something, we would need to merge HEAD to the AST
branch once more to pick up the changes in MAIN since the last merge,
and then make sure everything in the AST branch is passing the test
suite.  Otherwise we risk having MAIN broken for awhile following a
merge.

Finally, we can then merge the diff of HEAD to AST back into MAIN.

If we try to merge the entire AST branch since its inception, we will
re-apply to MAIN those changes made in MAIN which have already been
merged to the AST branch and it will be difficult to sort out all the
conflicts.

If we try to merge the AST branch from the its last merge tag to its
head we will miss the work done on AST prior to that merge.

Let me know at kbk at shore.net if you want to do this.

--
KBK