[Python-Dev] Python 2.5 and ast-branch

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Oct 6 19:03:00 CEST 2005

On 10/6/05, Neil Schemenauer <nas at arctrix.com> wrote:
> Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > If we kill the branch for now, then anyone that wants to bring up the idea
> > again can write a PEP first
>
> I still have some (very) small hope that it can be finished.  If we
> don't get it done soon then I fear that it will never happen.  I had
> hoped that a SoC student would pick up the task or someone would ask
> for a grant from the PSF.  Oh well.
>
> > A strategy that may work out better is [...]
>
> Another thought I've had recently is that most of the complexity
> seems to be in the CST to AST translator.  Perhaps having a parser
> that provided a nicer CST might help.

Dream on, Neil... Adding more work won't make it more likely to happen.

The only alternative to abandoning it that I see is to merge it back
into main NOW, using the time that remains us until the 2.5 release to
make it robust. That way, everybody can help out (and it may motivate
more people).

Even if this is a temporary regression (e.g. PEP 342), it might be
worth it -- but only if there are at least two people committed to
help out quickly when there are problems.