[Python-Dev] registering unicode codecs

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Nov 24 21:12:39 CET 2005

Neal Norwitz wrote:
> On 11/24/05, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>
>>>Should users have access to the search path (through a
>>>codecs.unregister())?
>>
>>Maybe, but why would you want to unregister a search function ?
>>

>>>If so, should it search from the end of the
>>>list to the beginning to remove an item?  That way the last entry
>>>would be removed rather than the first.
>>
>>I'd suggest to raise an exception in case a user tries
>>to register a search function twice.
>

> This should take care of the testing problem.
>

>>Removal should be the
>>same as doing list.remove(), ie. remove the first (and
>>only) item in the list of search functions.
>

> Do you recommend adding an unregister()?  It's not necessary for this case.

Not really - I don't see much of a need for this; except
maybe if a codec package wants to replace another codec
package.

So far no-one has requested such a feature, so I'd say
we don't add .unregister() until a request for it pops up.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Nov 24 2005)