[Python-Dev] Patch Req. # 1351020 & 1351036: PythonD modifications

jepler@unpythonic.net jepler at unpythonic.net
Sun Nov 20 16:08:51 CET 2005

On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 11:06:16PM +0100, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> decker at dacafe.com wrote:
> > I would appreciate feedback concerning these patches before the next
> > "PythonD" (for DOS/DJGPP) is released.
>
> PEP 11 says that DOS is not supported anymore since Python 2.0. So
> I am -1 on reintroducing support for it.

If we have someeone who is volunteering the time to make it work, not just today
but in the future as well, we shouldn't rule out re-adding support.

I've taken a glance at the patch.  There are probably a few things to quarrel
over--for instance, it looks like a site.py change will cause python to print
a blank line when it's started, and the removal of a '#define HAVE_FORK 1' in
posixmodule.c---but this still doesn't mean the re-addition of DOS as a supported
platform should be rejected out of hand.

Jeff