[Python-Dev] s/hotshot/lsprof

Brett Cannon bcannon at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 01:12:28 CET 2005

Just  for everyone's FYI while we are talking about profilers, Floris
Bruynooghe (who I am cc'ing on this so he can contribute to the
conversation), for Google's Summer of Code, wrote a replacement for
'profile' that uses Hotshot directly.  Thanks to his direct use of
Hotshot and rewrite of pstats it loads Hotshot data 30% faster and
also alleviates keeping 'profile' around and its slightly questionable
license.

You can find his project at
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/pyprof/ .  I believe he also
tweaked Hotshot to accept custom timing functions.  I have not had a
chance to go over his code to clean it up for putting it up on SF, but
I thought people should be aware of it.

-Brett