[Python-Dev] Building Python with Visual C++ 2005 ExpressEdition

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Nov 12 22:53:28 CET 2005

Tim Delaney wrote:
> With Microsoft changing the CRT all the time, I think I'd much prefer seeing
> effort going towards MinGW becoming the official Windows build platform.
> There was a considerable amount of angst with the 2.4 release that can be
> blamed solely on the CRT change (and hence different DLLs to link to). And
> with them deprecating ISO standard functions ...

The problem (for me, atleast) is that VC is so much more convenient to
work with. That said, I would personally use what other people
contribute (and perhaps only invoke the built process for the actual
packaging).

So for this to happen, somebody would have to step forward and volunteer
as the "windows port maintainer" for the coming years; starting with the
changes to the build process.

This may be more tricky than it sounds at first: a strategy for building
the libraries that we include (such as gzip, openssl, Tcl/Tk) would be
needed as well. Plus, that person would have to defend the decision to
drop VC (just as I am in the position of defending the switch to VS
2003).

Regards,
Martin