[Python-Dev] dev FAQ updated with day-to-day svn questions

Brett Cannon bcannon at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 20:36:51 CET 2005

On 11/10/05, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Brett Cannon wrote:
> > I just finished fleshing out the dev FAQ
> > (http://www.python.org/dev/devfaq.html) with questions covering what
> > someone might need to know for regular usage.  If anyone thinks I
> > didn't cover something I should have, let me know.
>
> Should the section "Developing on Windows" disappear now?

Well, the whole dev doc section needs cleaning up and that includes
the dev FAQ.  I was planning on doing this at some point; might as
well start talking about it now.

In my mind, the steps in each of the major things to do (bugs and
patches) needs better docs.  With that fleshed out, Intro to
Development can act as an overview of the process.  This should,
together with the dev FAQ, cover what someone needs to do dev work.

The question is how to structure the bug/patch guidelines.  There are
two options; dev FAQ entires much like the svn section or a more
classic layout of the info.  Both would have a bulleted list of the
steps necessary for a bug/patch.  The question is whether the
information is presented in paragraphs of text following the bulleted
list or as a list of questions.  What do people prefer?

-Brett