[Python-Dev] Plea to distribute debugging lib

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Nov 4 23:44:53 CET 2005

David Abrahams wrote:
>>Just to clarify - what we are asking for is library built with _DEBUG
>>and no BOOST_DEBUG_PYTHON, that is the one compatible with default
>>Python distribution.
>

> I know you're trying to help, but I'm sure that's not making anything
> clearer for these people.  They don't know anything about
> BOOST_DEBUG_PYTHON and would never have cause to define it.

Actually, I'm truly puzzled. Why would a library that has _DEBUG defined
be compatible with the standard distribution? Doesn't _DEBUG cause
linkage with msvcr71d.dll?

In addition (more correctly: for that reason), the debug build causes
python2x_d.dll to be build, instead of python2x.dll, which definitely
is incompatible with the standard DLL. It not only uses a different
C library; it also causes Py_DEBUG to be defined, which in turn creates
a different memory layout for PyObject.

So in the end, I would assume you are requesting what you call a
debug-python, i.e. one that (in your system) *has* BOOST_DEBUG_PYTHON
defined.

Regards,
Martin