[Python-Dev] PEP 342/343 status?

Guido van Rossum gvanrossum at gmail.com
Tue May 31 20:12:16 CEST 2005

[Brett C.]
> > Been rather quite around here lately so I just wanted to do a quick check to
> > see what the status is on PEPs 342 and 343.  I noticed Nick's PEP is still not
> > up.  Probably too busy with that fix for genexps in the AST branch, huh, Nick?  =)

[Nick Coghlan]
> Something like that. . . still, I finally got around to fixing the formatting in
> the text file and sending it back to David :)
>
> > Guido, you need something hashed out from us at this point, or do you have this
> > all settled in your head and are just waiting for time to lock it down in the
> > PEP?  Or should the PEPs be changed from draft to final and an implementation
> > (which I am *not* volunteering for  =) is now needed?
>
> There's a generator finalisation PEP to come from Raymond, and Guido has made
> some comments on that front that probably need to be folded into PEP 343.

Yeah, I'm mostly waiting for Raymond to make the changes to PEP 288. I
guess the flap over Decimal's constructor (nicely concluded by Mike
Cowlishaw -- we should invite him to do a keynote on EuroPython next
year) and the uncertainty of the possibility to call close() from the
destructor may have slowed that down. I wonder if we can make progress
by leaving that final part (automatic invocation of close() upon
destruction) out -- I don't think that anything in the rest of the
spec would have to change if we can't call close() automatically.

If Raymond would rather defer to me, I can give it a shot in a revised
version of PEP 343, at the same time as finishing up some other loose
ends there (e.g. I'd like to switch allegiance to 'with').

> And implementations will probably have to wait for the AST branch anyway. . .

That's fine. But don't underestimate the VM work needed! I looked at
what it would take to add an optional argument to <generator>.next()
so that yield could return a value, and realized that I don't know my
way around ceval.c any more... :-(

If people are interested in sprinting on this at EuroPython I could be
available for some time, but we'll need someone more knowledgeable
about ceval.c to kick-start the work.