[Python-Dev] Adventures with Decimal

Raymond Hettinger raymond.hettinger at verizon.net
Sat May 21 03:56:28 CEST 2005

[Tim]
> I'm sorry, but if you mentally reduced everything I've written about
> this to "the sole argument", rational discussion has become impossible
> here.

Forgive me one melodramatic email.

I've laid out my reasoning and understand yours.

Crossing light sabers with one such as yourself is of course a foolhardy
undertaking.

A root difference is that I believe we have both a compliant
implementation (using Context.create_decimal) and a practical context
free extension in the form of the regular Decimal constructor.

A second difference is that you see harm in allowing any context free
construction while I see greater harm from re-introducing representation
error when that is what we were trying to fix in the first place.

The rest is just practicalities and engineering (altering decimal's
internals may be a non-trivial undertaking).

May the force be with you,

Raymond